Best Practices for Advertising to Life Scientists: Online and in Print (13-001)
Life science suppliers are challenged to deploy resources appropriately between print and online advertising campaigns. Additionally, creating ad content that calls a scientist to action can prove challenging as advertising channels have become more varied, nuanced and numerous. Longstanding practices can no longer be counted on; suppliers must adapt their strategies to accommodate the ways that scientists are now looking at (and thinking about) ads.
Best Practices for Advertising to Life Scientists: Online and in Print provides guidance to suppliers who want to develop print and online advertising strategies that capture a researcher’s attention and inspire him or her to take the next step. This report reveals scientists’ preferences for a variety of advertising platforms, content and formats. Supplier companies will use this report to make decisions on ad placement, usage of Google ads, most widely-read online and print publications and which devices scientists are using to view online content.
“Life science suppliers must adapt to a changing environment. Our data is telling a story about how differently young scientists think about ads. We are finding indicators that scientists are more receptive to advertising than they used to be, but they are also more particular about how it’s delivered.” -Robin Rothrock, Ph.D., Director of Publications.
• Determine which devices scientists are using to read/view web content
• Understand preferences and usage of print vs. online publications
• Understand value placed on sponsored links; (e.g., Google ads)
• Measure usage and preferences of multiple types of print and online ads
• Assess awareness and usefulness of 20+ leading life science publications: online and print
• Find out the degree to which scientists are using QR codes
• Identify the most attractive sites and page positions for banner ad placement
• Measure the prevalence of ad-blocking software
• Determine the relative value of major types of sponsored content: online and print
• Find out which type of ads scientists are responding to most: print vs. online.
• Determine the overall receptivity to advertising in the life sciences
• Identify the most memorable online and print ads from 2012
• Find out how researchers search for products and services (e.g., favorite search engines, search terms, frequency etc.)